Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday, Monday ... Can't trust that day.

Just as soon as I bragged about Mondays in my PJs I realized this is one of those Mondays when I'm actually going to have to get dressed and go somewhere. When you work in sales and someone wants to meet with you, you meet with them whenever and wherever they say. And, that reminds me of something that happened last week. I was, you know, stalking a business owner acquaintance on Facebook, as I'm known to do. It's this guy I've sort of known for years but not all that well, but I know his wife, and our toddlers go to the same Mother's Day Out program. So, what I'm saying it's he's someone I surely would run into sooner or later around town. It's harder for those types to avoid me. (Well, I say that, but you'd be surprised.)

ANYWHO, I sent this guy a message requesting a meeting, and he agreed. So, I went to his place of business and sat down and talked with him for about an hour. (It doesn't have to take that long, but apparently some people actually enjoy talking with me.) He decided to buy one of my Internet advertising campaigns, and after we did the paperwork he said something I found funny. He told me, "You know, when I agreed to meet with you I didn't really think I was going to be interested, but now that we've talked I really am!" That really got me thinking. I think there are a lot of people out there like this guy ... people who would be interested in what I offer if only they'd take the time to listen to what I have to say. I wish more people would agree to meet with me just to humor me (LOL) and then discover that what I've got is actually worthwhile. I think I'm going to tell this story to the folks who refuse to let me in — that is, IF I can even get them to tell me no. (More commonly, I simply am ignored). We shall see how that goes. The bigger lesson, which I touched on in my first blog post, is, of course, to keep the door open. If someone wants to meet with you, do it! You never know what you might learn or how your life may be enriched by the experience. (This is a general rule, and there are exceptions. For example, never accept a meeting invitation from Celine Dion, Nancy Grace or the Grim Reaper.)

Okey-doke. I didn't really have time to blog today what with all the getting dressed and going to meet with a business owner I've got to do. Plus, it's cold calling day! (Hooray.) But once I get something in my mind it nags at me until I get it out. Happy Monday everyone ... every last one of you six followers I've got so far, one of which is me! =-D

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, make that 7 followers (one of which is me)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After 35 years in sales, I have come to know that showing up is 75% of the battle. Even those who ignore you at first will learn that you have integrity, are willing to work, and that you are a pleasant person. When they know you care about them, they will care about you and buy and protect you from others who put your product down. Relationship selling is wonderful and rewarding!

    ReplyDelete